Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Captain is a Rockstar

I've known my friend Tom Townsend for over 10 years now, and for just about as long we've been the unofficial wedding singers of our church. We've done so many weddings together that we started calling ourselves Captain and Tennille (although some argue we're not nearly that hip and are really closer to Donnie and Marie).

Last Friday night I went out to Molly Malone's downtown to support Tom and his band, American Catapult. Matt was disappointed to miss the show, but he was in Las Vegas having an "absolutely G-rated" bachelor weekend with 12 of his closest friends. But Kelly came along, and we had a great time listening to the fantastic tunes and basking in the band's energy. Tom, Mike, Shawn, and Terry are good guys who love making good music, and their shows are always upbeat and energetic. As Kelly remarked, "They're like Counting Crows, only happier!" They are indeed. And while I've known and loved them for awhile, the rest of the world is finally getting a chance to hear them, too. They recently signed with Cooking Vinyl, and their latest album "Trees of Mystery" will be released in May--so look for it at your local record store! Meanwhile, check out their website at http://www.americancatapult.com/.

I consider it my personal mission to keep Tom humble, though. Not only was he kind enough to lead Christmas carols with me at my work Christmas lunch last year (only a true friend would do that, I tell you), but as soon as he returns from doing shows and press in Austen, Texas, during SXSW, he'll be singing in our wedding. Matt and I are excited and honored to have him be a part of our day. After all, how could Tennille possibly be in a wedding without the Captain??

2 comments:

Kellyry said...

They really were very Counting Crows like (whom I L-O-V-E, even when they are depressing songs). I give them my OFFICIAL STAMP OF APPROVAL.

Matt said...

I'm really sorry I couldn't go to that show. I enjoy seeing AmCat play.

We did, have a lot of (pg) fun in Vegas however