Monday, August 11, 2008

Getting in Touch with My Inner Caroline Ingalls

People, I have a new obsession: Knitting. Carol taught me while we were in Colorado last month and I got started straightaway on a beautiful baby blanket. Which I promptly tore out after I'd completed about 5 inches. They say that baby items are good projects for beginning knitters because they're small and you get the satisfaction of completing a project fairly quickly. But they should clarify that baby blankets don't count, because man do they go slowly. And when you're done with all that hard work basically all you have to show for it is a big square. What fun is that? Answer: No fun. So I tore out my blanket and started over on a simple boat-neck (read: no shaping around the neckline, so easy-peasy) baby sweater. I knitted up the front, back, and two sleeves in no time flat. See the sort of wonky stitches here and there? My new BFF knitting teacher at Unraveled yarn store in Monrovia assures me that those will magically straighten out after the first hand washing.Next came blocking, which is when you pin out the pieces to their correct dimensions and either steam them or dampen them and let them dry in place. As you can see, I went a little overboard and used like a million pins. Because I'm a perfectionistic freak and wanted it to be just right. Then I sewed the pieces together, which required a little in-person assistance (hence my bonding with the gals at Unraveled last Friday afternoon), and voila! A baby sweater! It looks sort of drab and plain displayed such, so Henry came down to model for you. Look at that perfectly shaped cuff. I made that, people! Henry was especially excited about the next project I'd started--a little baby beanie--so he wanted to give you a preview. But then, being the anal retentive obsessive type that I am, I finished said hat a couple of hours later. So here it is, too. My second ever knitting project completed in one afternoon.How cute is that? After seeing it, Matt asked if I know how to make anything in "normal sizes," so yesterday I went out and bought a big book of hat patterns. For grown up people heads. So if I know you, you can pretty much count on getting a big wooly hat or cap from me sometime in the future. And I don't care if we're in California where it rarely gets below 60 degrees on the coldest afternoon of the year: You will wear it and you will like it.

4 comments:

Molly W. said...

WOW Denise!! I'm so impressed! Not only that you blogged but your mad skills!! You beter watch out, I'm gonna have to place an order soon!! Don't you think B needs a pink and brown stripped beanie for Ireland? :) hehem, HINT!! It was so fun seeing you a couple wks ago, love your cozy home!

Plain Jane said...

You do very good work! I'm quite impressed - for having about one two-hour session to learn, you've mastered it. Must be that great teacher you had. Of course, I have yet to finish the sweater for Elaine that I started that day I taught you. But I'm almost done with the second sleeve...
On that hat, did you use DPNs or just one flat piece sewn together? It looks great!

Lauren said...

Great job!!! I'm so impressed. I've always wanted to learn to knit but I have a very short attention span when it comes to some projects. My mom is an avid crocheter but she works on projects for LITERALLY YEARS. That always turned me off knitting and crocheting. But, seeing you knock out a couple super cute projects intrigues me.

Oh, and I LOVE that store, Unraveled. I popped in there a few weeks ago, after my dentist appt. at Charlyn's. They have great stuff.

b said...

You go, Caroline!
Those nice, neat stitches/loops, whatever they call ém are seriously impressive.
I can't wait to get my hat. Audrey needs a hat and scarf for winter too, please.

When you're here in a few weeks, I definitely want a less, have always wanted to learn; but I'm with Lauren on the craft-ADHD thing so I make no promises as a pupil.