Thursday, March 27, 2008

TJ's, I Love You. But . . .

Am I the only one who can't stand other shoppers at Trader Joe's? Really, is it just me being an anal-retentive, type-A beeyotch, or are they the most disorganized, self-absorbed, clueless shoppers this side of the closest Pic & Save? Sorry, Big Lots? (Yes, that's so much classier.) I get why the stores themselves are always on the small side, even though it annoys me to no end that the lines for the checkout extend into the aisles of organic corn, bean paste, and whole wheat penne. I even understand why people are so pokey and indecisive as they scan the wide selection of cheeses (sharp, extra sharp, New York, Wisconsin, swiss, light, organic, herb, the list goes on and on). But come on, people. Why do you have to do it while your cart is jutting all akimbo out into the middle of the already tiny and cluttered aisle? Or better yet, why do you think it's ok for you to just abandon it right in front of the arugula while you mosey on over to peruse the selection of tomatoes on the vine? Why? Why? Why? Can't you see that there are like 50 other people milling about? Because, really, that's the source of my frustration at TJ's: People don't really shop there in the sense that I shop--that is, by going in with a good idea of what I want or need, a mission to find each item as quickly and efficiently as possible and then, oh what the hell, do something crazy like LEAVE. No. Instead, the typical TJ shopper mills about somewhat aimlessly, standing for what seems like hours in front of the tower of fresh bread, their cart blocking 2/3 of it while their body blocks the other 1/3 while they read each and every single label. Panini! Crostini! Peasant! Baguette! Just pick one, please! Or at the very least be aware of me standing beside and slightly behind you, waiting patiently at first, then swaying back and forth as I transfer my weight from foot to foot, then staring right at you, willing you to look at me, notice me, affirm me, dammit! Sigh. Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

9 comments:

Kellyry said...

No, it is not just you that has experienced this TJ's phenomenon. It really exists! And is very annoying.

DeniseMarie said...

Thank you! Matt was of the opinion that most people act like this, regardless of the store, but it's just spotlighted and intensified at TJ's because the stores are small. But I disagree. In thinking about it more, I came to the conclusion that a lot of people view it as a specialty store, one to be perused for "finds" and not necessarily as an efficiency market--in that it's small, has pretty specific items, etc. Arg. I almost wish that they would ban the carts and make people use handheld baskets only.

DeniseMarie said...

On a related topic, am I the only one excited about the new Fresh & Easy markets opening? I think there's one in Arcadia that opened a couple months ago--anyone been to it yet?

Kellyry said...

I agree that TJ's is a place that people probably go slower at because they want to peruse; I'm certainly one of those people. I do however, despite my slower pace, try and be aware of my cart and who I may be blocking.

I have been to the Fresh & Easy in Arcadia a couple of times and while it's ok, I'm not overwhelmed with love like I expected to be. It has an almost Warehouse feel to it, rather than the "bare, neutral" feel I knew they were known for. Also, when I've gone there I inevitably find I still need to go to TJ's AND the regular grocery store because it hasn't managed to fall into that in-between category (again, like I'd hoped and expected). Now, it was when it first opened that I went those 2 or 3 times, so perhaps they've worked out the kinks and have brought in additional products or stocked up more on products that are frequently used that they were out of before (i.e. whipping cream! They were out of whipping cream!).

I've not given up on F&E but neither am I impressed.

DeniseMarie said...

Oh, that's a disappointing report. was hoping that when ours opened over here it could replace most of my TJ's trips and all my regular market needs. Hmm. I'll have to swing by the Arcadia one and check it out.

Molly W. said...

Thanks for reminding me that I don't have a TJ's any more but that I miss it!! sigh. Mountain life, no luxeries like Trader Joes.

b said...

It's probably only a matter of time before we are no longer friends.

I am that person. That disorganized and clueless person reading labels and abandoning my cart (ok, not now that I have Audrey, but before her I often abandoned my cart.) I cannot
sign on to the self-absorbed part because there are different motives behind my shopping behavior.

1.) I like grocery shopping.It is a pleasurable experience for me--especially when it's anywhere but a main-stream grocery store. As such, I'm in no hurry. Trader Joe's is not about efficiency. You, my friend, may need to slow down, read the labels and smell the roses.

2.) I have to abandon my cart because if I take it with me to the cheese, I will also be blocking your view there. When I abandoned my cart no one was even near the chips.

3.) Panini! Crostini! Peasant! Baguette! Each with it's own texture and flavor--it's a very difficult decision with far-reaching ramifications. And which kind of cheese or jam to accompany the bread?

b said...

P.S. I am very aware of you standing beside me, apologize for not 'hurrying', move out of your way while you grab your cheese. And your way. And your way. Until finally, I decide to just look at my damn cheese until I decide.

b said...

P.S.S. I absolutely LOVE the new blog look.