Friday, October 12, 2007

Confessional

Inspired by B's "dirty little food secret" post and spurred on by Molly's plea that I shape up and make a new post already, I offer up this: A confession of my secret childhood drug habit. Yes, you heard me right. I was a preadolescent druggy, dope fiend, strung out on drugs of all sorts. There, I said it. (And I apologize now to all the mothers out there who will read about this and from this day forward live in terror of their precious little ones being just like me.)

Ah, I feel better now.

What led me to make this confession now, you wonder? I found out I wasn't alone in my secret shame. Nope, I've discovered I have a kindred spirit, a sister sufferer right in my very own circle of friends. Here's how it all went down.

Yesterday morning when I should have been devoting my time to working like a good little office bee I instead found myself trading emails with a friend who shall remain anonymous. This woman is an attractive, clean, respectable, upstanding citizen as (on a good day) I fancy myself to be. The conversation began innocently enough: I mentioned that Matt is one of those "strange anti-medicine people" whereas I am more the type to pop a Midol at the very first sign of PMS bloating, 2 (or 3 or yes, dammit, sometimes 4) Advil with just the slightest twinge of a headache coming on, etc. After all, as I told her, "If God didn't want us to take drugs why'd He invent Nyquil, the sweet nectar of sleep? Hello?" She replied that her husband is also, like mine, one of those odd creatures who shys away from drugs--prescription or otherwise.

Then the floodgates opened and before I knew it we were making confessions to one another about our own secret shame: Childhood drug addiction. (Ok, maybe that's a little strong. We're not Drew Barrymore or anything, after all.) I revealed that as a kid I would sneak sips of the grape and orange flavored Robitussin. And to snagging one or two of the kiddy aspirins that tasted like chalky cherry goodness. And to munching on the chewable orange-flavored Vitamin C tablets my mom kept in a big jar under her bathroom sink. Thinking I was dirty and shameful and sick, I tentatively hit "send."

Then in her reply she made her confession. And I let out a sigh of relief. For, friends, I believe her addiction was deeper than even mine! Not only did she sneak gulps of the cough medicine and snack on the chewable vitamins like mad because she "thought they were candy," but she'd also eat the aspirins "by the handful" and chug the Chloriseptic when her mom wasn't looking. Gads!

For those of you who may be reading this, utterly horrified and thinking this was the most irresponsible thing in the world and how our moms should have been arrested and that my friend and I should have forced sterilization so as not to ever bring more pill-popping babies into the world, take a deep breath and relax. We turned out just fine. Yes, we did. And in discussing it we eventually remarked on how dangerous this behavior truly was, blah, blah, blah, and how when we someday have kids we'll have to keep all drugs under lock and key and so forth. So don't worry.
But how about you? I'm sure some of you engaged in similar behavior. Or perhaps you have some other childhood confession to make. Let it out, you'll feel better. If you do and then don't feel better, take a swig of Nyquil and go lay down for a nap. When you wake up everything will be better. I promise.

5 comments:

b said...

Lemme give this one some thought.

In the meantime, I do concur that Nyquil is the nectar of the god of sleep. I'm pretty much a 'don't take meds unless I really, really need it person'--as an adult, at least. Whereas Mike drops 'em like you, Dean. But I definitely take it when it's really needed. Since I've been pregnant and nursing for the past two years, however, it's been a long time since I've tasted the sweetness of Nyquil. Until a few weeks ago when I had a cold and just really, really needed to sleep.

Which brings me to an actual discussion that M and I had the morning after when I was awakening in a lovely green haze of Nyquil afterglow. I realized that it wasn't so much that it made me sleepy--just more like it gave me such a deeply, deeply peaceful feeling, that I am ashamed to admit, I rarely have otherwise. Oh sure, I relax in a normal way. But this was much, much deeper than that. This was a 'nothing in the whole wide world matters or could worry me in this moment' sort of way; whereas there is usually always some little nagging worry or thought in the back of my mind, even at my most normally-relaxed state. Sadly, I said that I could really see how tempting it would be to crave such a relaxed state all the time and thus become a full-time druggie. The spiritual thing to say would be that this is the kind of total peace we receive from God alone; but in honesty I must say: The green love-juice is like the Holy Spirit in liquid (or handy tablet) form.

So there's a pretty big admission too. Hope no one thinks less of me; but if you do, I can always just pretend it away with a few NQ.

b said...

Ok I do remember eating lots of Flinstones vitamins and chewable vitamin C too.

Molly W. said...

Thank you Denise! I wouldn't have cared what the post was...just wanted a new post! :) I think my husband has an OD story about Flinstone's vitamins....sigh...you are SO not alone. :)

Kellyry said...

Ever since reading this post a couple days ago, I've been trying to think of something scandalous from my childhood to further ensure that you know you are not alone. But I can't think of anything.

Why can't I think of anything salaciously surprising? Grrr.

Oh wait! I used to order pizza when I was babysitting, even if the family provided dinner. For some reason "Pizza Man" was my babysitting tradition, and something I felt I had to do in secret.

Is that scandalous enough to make me fit in with the in crowd?

b said...

Hey ya, It's Mike here. Thought I would jump in on this action.

As a child, I was not tempted by NyQuil. Nor did I give in to the allure of Flinstone's Chewables. No, my secret is a tad different.

You see, from 1971 to 1989 I was deprived of good tasting food (twinkies, ding dongs, hoo hoos). Instead, we ate Melba toast, rye krisp, and Ak Mak f*&!*ng cardboard.

Enter Robbie Spisak, the bad neighbor kid across the street who introduced me to Tang.

It was my first lesson in the law of diminishing returns.

The first time my lips touched this sugary tonic, it was on. I drank til I barfed. And then drank some more. For months, I returned to her warm embrace, only to find myself repeating the same cycle - hyper, happy, mellow, queezy, running, lurching, lying down.

I'm fine now. Another life lesson learned - If it's too good to be true...