Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Farewell, Beloved Modoc Lane

This morning on the channel 4 news I saw the ashes of my old house in Lake Arrowhead, just north of the Arrowhead Country Club. The helicopter camera showed that our entire neighborhood is gone. Completely. Aside from a small cluster of homes just west of our old house, there's nothing left. Just dirt and burnt tree stumps. It was heartbreaking, and quite strange to think that our lovely old home is no more. Of course we feel blessed and grateful that as far as we know everyone we still know and love up there evacuated safely, and the pain and shock are much less than they would be if we still owned that home. But still. I'm surprisingly emotional. I'm still working from home this week, but maybe next week when I return to the office I'll scan and post some pictures in tribute to our beloved house and the memories we made there. I know some of you visited us in that house and loved it, too. Sniffle.

7 comments:

Molly W. said...

Sad Denise! I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hate that California is on fire.

Kellyry said...

:-( Sorry & sad, D, for your parents too.

b said...

This makes me so very sad. It may sound strange to say it, but when I think of the few places that conjure the word, 'home', Modoc Lane is one of them. We had so many great times there, together with your parents that I will always, always treasure.
Now I feel like crying.

DeniseMarie said...

I still feel like crying about it, too. I recorded the news segment on the DVR and replayed it for Matt. It was almost more painful to watch it a second time with him, and I'm sure it will be worse to show it to my parents who haven't seen it yet. We moved so much when I was young that I never really got too attached to any one place as HOME....until we moved to Arrowhead. Modoc Lane was home, in part as you said because there were just so many good memories made there. But also because it was the last house in which I lived with my parents as a family. And it makes me miss Chelsea terribly, too, since she was still a puppy when we moved there and "grew up" in that house.

b said...

Ok, my friend. Time to move on.

Modoc Lane is now dragging me down every single time I check out your page.

Feng Shui this baby to the archives.

b said...

P.S. These were very dark days, which remind of the fires, Audrey being sick at the same time, etc. If you love me, you will purge.

Molly W. said...

Denise...you there? Can I pay you to put up a new post? :)