Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Call Me Tippi Hedren

The birds were busy today, as you can see. Yesterday I destroyed the measely little mound of twigs and grass they had stashed in my front door wreath, but apparently they were diligent little worker bees today because now they have a legitimate nest here. So much so that I feel like they've kind of earned the real estate and can't bring myself to kick them out.



I managed to get a picture of one of them through the kitchen window that faces out to the front porch. It was taken through the glass, hence the poor quality. But as it turns out, I was destined to get an even better photo opportunity.




When I opened the front door a bit later, I got more than just the little evening breeze I'd been hoping for: One poor bird with a mouthful of grass came flying right into the living room. He dropped his grass clippings onto the coffee table and then proceeded to fly head first into the glass of the closed french doors--over and over again until I stopped being freaked out and took pity on the poor thing. He finally rested on the floor and waited patiently while I opened the door and let him out.

5 comments:

Kellyry said...

Sweet little birdie. Glad he made it out alive; he could've banged his head til he died!

DeniseMarie said...

That would have been horrible, and I did have a vision of a dead bird on the living room floor. But thankfully there was no blood shed. Matt also reminded me last night that this plain brown bird was most likely the femaile, and the red-headed one I caught perched atop the wreath was the male. Remember, in the animal kingdom it's the males whose physical attributes are the equivalent of the nipped, tucked, bleached, waxed human female form.

Kellyry said...

Most of all I'm just so pleased that you captured the situation on camera. You've become a true blogger now!

b said...

How quaint. i repeat- birds are creepy.

Matt said...

and,we get the side benefit of guard birds that will divebomb those pesky door-to-door salespeople :P