Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Psychic Hair Phenomenon

Why is it that whenever I've just about made up my mind to make a drastic change to my hair, it all of a sudden starts looking super cute--as if it knows that it's in jeopardy of being hacked off, and therefore starts acting on its best behavior in hopes of being spared? Am I the only one familiar with this phenomenon, or does it happen to you too? Well, despite my hair's casual cuteness today, I'm still seriously considering making the big cut at my appointment tomorrow morning. I've looked around and have found a few other (yet still similar to each other as well as to the JS photo I posted a few days ago) cuts. This first one has more layers than I think I'd want, but it's so soft and feminine, I couldn't resist posting it. It would also require daily use of a curling iron to get it to look like this, which would be a pain. (By the way, it goes without saying that regardless of what style I choose, I'll be keeping bangs. You could print the Gettysburg Address in 12-pt type on my forehead, making it waaaay too big to go uncovered.) Then there are a couple more that are almost identical to the Jessica Simpson shot. I think my favorite is this last one, only I'd want it a bit longer so it's just past my shoulders. I like how it's flippy-outty without being too cutesy. But I also suspect there's a bit of the "nude nail polish effect" going on, and that what I really want is to look exactly like this model--hair and eyes and narrow nose and defined jaw and all--which is not going to be accomplished with hair scissors. What say you all?

9 comments:

Plain Jane said...

The last one is definitely my favorite. I didn't care for the first one at all - the bangs were WAY too much and reminded me of Cher (which is never a good thing). I really like the JS cut and the last one you posted here. I know exactly what you mean about your hair suddenly behaving itself and looking good when you're going to chop it. But you're going to go super short....and it will grow back fast, if you don't like it. I say go for it! Then post pictures of the new do.

DeniseMarie said...

I agree that the bangs on picture #1 are too heavy and definitely Cher-like, which is not exactly the look I'm going for. I think that if I go with one of these other cuts I can get the same soft feminine affect as that first one by curling it.

Kellyry said...

Ditto on the hair-behaving-right-before-cutting phenomenon.

I looked at the pics first, without reading what you'd written so I wouldnt be biased and #3 was also my favorite.

I say cut it, do something a little more dramatic. It will grow back and you can have your luxurious locks once more if thats what you decide. But sometimes, you cut if off and wonder why you didnt do that earlier. You aren't going drastic, like a chin-length bob or something, so I figure you have nothing to lose.

DeniseMarie said...

Ooh, the pressure is on now to cut it.

b said...

I actually like #1--guess I'm the oddball (no secret there, huh?) But I think the funky color is what really sets it off. A more subtle shade of red would also look good. The danger of that cut with a more mainstream hair color is that it will be too 'cutesy-all-American.' (Am I gonna be blacklisted with the Dixie Chics for using that term negatively?) Anyhow, they're all cute, but I'm with Kelly: in the end--go dramatic because seriously, if you feel like me, my hair pretty much always looks the same no matter how ' different' it looks in a magazine photo. Appropos the nude nail polish: in real life, someone would just look like their fingernails fell off. :)

DeniseMarie said...

I always feel that way, too--that no matter how funky or unique a picture is that I show to my hairdresser, I always walk out with basically the exact same look I had going in, just a different length. Like my hair has a natural style and shape it wants to be, and no matter how it's cut it's going to find a way to do the same old thing.

b said...

On my recent trip to DK, I asked Lone about this very thing because I quickly noticed that Danish girls' hair was SO MUCH FREAKIN cuter and yet I couldn't put my finger on why. Everywhere I went womens' hair was just cuter than American girls (sorry girls)--regardless of the cut it was just...jeg ne sais pas.

Having lived and worked here but trained in London herself, she explained that 98% of American hairdressers are trained in a particular technique that caters to American taste. I forgot what she called it, but basically it's just a very square-cutting technique that lacks some kind of 'edge' that they desire in Europe (there's a trade name for this, which I can't remember.)

Anywho, I said 'yeah but what is it? I notice that the same girl with shoulder-length hair and bangs here in DK'just has much cuter hair'. I told her that I now spend $$$$ and go to all different hip-seeming salons but the cut never grows or seems what I want.

Her best suggestion was to go to a European concept salon like Tony & Guy.

b said...

P.S. I think the difference can basically be summed up in 'fringe' vs. 'bangs.' :)

Kellyry said...

Great point about the fringe v. bangs...My request to Joe (and sometimes he gets it just right and other times it's too All-American) is almost always "EURO EDGY!" For some reason, those two words just typify what I usually want in my hair cut. I may have to try a Euro salon sometime, just to see what they come up with.