Friday, April 11, 2008

Product Review: Denise Austin's Shrink Your Female Fat Zones

Ok, first let's just address the title of this workout dvd, shall we? I find it somewhat offensive, but I can't place my finger on what it is exactly that ruffles my feathers. Is it the direct reference to and acknowledgment that I have fat? Is it that it's female fat, which automatically makes me think it has to do with girly parts? Maybe it's just that it's so direct and to the point: Females have fat and it needs to be shrunk. Except, of course, the females on this video. There are about five of them working out around Denise Austin, and all of their body fat combined would probably be about as much as what I'm carrying around in my left leg alone. But moving on...I picked this video to balance out my primarily walking-only workout regime because I read multiple reviews online that it was a great one for battling the dreaded tummy fat. [Boo, hiss.] I just did the full 40-minute workout for the first time, and while I thought about being totally honest and "keeping it real" by photographing my sweaty brow and drippy hair at the base of my neck and posting them here for you to see, I realized I was way too vain to let anyone see my hair sweat. Here's what I am willing to let you see: Oy, taking my shoes off at the end is my FAVORITE part of any workout. (That's my poor, abused balance ball off to the left. Pray for it.) What I liked most about this workout is that she's constantly switching from working the arms to the abs to the butt to the legs--never staying too long in one spot, so you don't get overly tired or jelly-muscled. She works it, moves to something else while those muscles get a rest, and then comes back to them. The first half uses hand weights and the second half uses the balance ball, which I like a lot. And I only fell off my ball once. Well, maybe twice. Unless you're in really fabulous shape, you will definitely feel like you're getting a workout with this--especially if you use weights appropriate for your fitness level. Mine are, uh, three pounds. Each! But, honestly, I could have handled heavier ones. The only downside, really, is that Denise Austin is possessed by Satan. As evidenced by this photo: Not convinced? Ok, this one. And this. But if you don't mind her demon eyes burning into your very soul and her constant demands that you "show [her] your smiling face!" then I'd recommend you give this poorly-named yet well-organized workout a go. By the way, if anyone out there has some favorite dvds to recommend, please mention them in the comments!

6 comments:

Kellyry said...

I think the title is one of those blatant attempts at manipulation, that is, the manipulation to make you feel bad about being female and extra-fatty. However, it is truthful in it's reminder, so can we really fault them? Owning several Denise Austen videos, it does sound like something she'd say. And fyi, Denise is just as satan-incarnate in all her other videos, though her workouts are among my favorites. They tend to be quick, to the point, and leave you feeling as though you've really worked hard in that time.

Thanks for the review, as carrying weight in my middle section has always been my problem. Even when I was at my thinnest my belly has always been softer, never hard and toned like my dear sister Kirsten's, whose belly even now, after birthing 3 children, is so hard you could bounce a quarter off of it. (And don't deny it, Kir!)

Kellyry said...

As for video recommendations, I find that pilates is invaluable for overall slimming and streamlining the body. I'd have to dig through my assortment to give you actual titles but I highly recommend it for strengthening and toning your core/tummy.

Molly W. said...

You never cease to make me laugh Denise! I agree...she does look a little off there. yikes!

b said...

Are you a glutton for punishment?

Denise Austin does seem a bit too...'earnest' for my taste. But hey, I can't say I'm speaking from experience.

Personally, I love Winsor pilates for building core strength (that translates into tummy!), balance, flexibility and making muscles more lean.

For cardio, I like Turbo Jam. Those '10 minute workouts' are also good for days when you just don't have time--but they do also feel...a bit rushed. Oh well. trying to fit a workout into 10 minutes is rushed.

My fave prenatal dvd was Lisa Hart's Fit Mama (it's cheesy, but low-impact enough to where you can do it throughout your entire pregnancy and feel good. I also have a prenatal pilates and yoga but wasn't fit enough going into it to be able to do the entire workouts. I would like to be in better shape this time because both seem like great workouts. The only one I do not recommend, unless you are a Cirque de Soleil perform, is 'Total Prengancy Workout'. This dvd gets amazing reviews, but I tell you: the girl leading it is, literally, a Cirque de Soleil performer. She's doing a handstand 9 months pregnant for gosh sake. I could not have done this workout when I was 12 years old, so the people who are recommending it so highly are crack-smoking aerobic instructors from Brentwood, or something.

b said...

P.S. the 10 minute workout isn't a Winsor Pilates--it's a different series. Winsor does have a 20 minute workout that's great and doesn't feel rushed at all.

Jan said...

Oh my, that's one scary lady. Why not just put on the running shoes instead :-D (being all saintlike today, I FINALLY went running with my new track suit)