Friday, April 13, 2007

Recipe Review: Baked Apple Dumpling Pie with Vanilla Custard Sauce

This recipe is from Ken Haedrich's fantastic cookbook, Apple Pie Perfect, which contains "100 delicious and decidedly different recipes for America's favorite pie" (thanks to Carol for turning me on to this book). This is the 4th of his pies I've made, and every one has been phenomenal. I'd planned to make this for Easter dessert, but we all gorged ourselves on malted milk balls, jelly beans, cheese, and veggies before dinner was even ready, so we decided to nix dessert. So last Tuesday I made it for just Matt and me, and we're still happily snacking on it. Here's the recipe followed by my notes:

Raisin Walnut Mixture
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/4 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Filling
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup firmly-packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons raspberry preserves
4 golden delicious apples

Glaze
light cream or milk
granulated sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine all the raisin walnut mixture ingredients in a food processor. Pulse repeatedly until it's finely ground, then set aside.

2. In an ovenproof skillet or saute pan that measures 9 inches across the bottom and about 11-12 inches across the top, melt the butter and then stir in the brown sugar and preserves. When it's bubbling evenly (about 30 seconds or so) remove from heat.

3. Halve and core the apples, but don't peel them. Spoon the raisin walnut mixture into the cored centers of 7 of the apple halves, packing it firmly.

4. Lay the apples, cut-side down, into the skillet on top of the raspberry mixture. You should be able to fit 6 around the edges and one in the center. Finely dice the 8th one and scatter the pieces between the apples along with the remaining raisin walnut mixture.

5. Lay a 12-inch pastry dough over the top of the apple mounds. Rather than cutting the edges, tuck the excess dough straight down along the inside of the pan. Cut several large vent holes in the dough, then lightly brush with milk or cream and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

6. Place on center rack and bake for 20 minutes. Then reduce the oven heat to 375 degrees and bake for about another 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Instead of cutting into traditional pie slices, serve by scooping out the little apple mounds along with the pan drippings.

Vanilla Custard Sauce
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups light cream or half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. Whisk the yolks and sugar together in a bowl.

2. Bring the cream to a simmer in a medium-sized saucepan. Once it's hot, gradually whisk it (about 1/3 cup at a time) into the yolk and sugar mixture. Once all the cream has been incorporated, transfer the mixture back into the saucepan.

3. Stir over medium-low heat (DO NOT BOIL) until it thickens enough to leave a path on the back of a wooden spoon when you draw a finger across it--about 5 minutes or so.

4. Strain the custard through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl and then stir in the vanilla. Let cool to room temperature and then chill until cold. This will keep for 2-3 days.

So now my input. This was a really great pie. Not our favorite from this book, but a good solid 4 out of 5 stars. It's unique, which we both like, but I think it would be most appropriate for a more casual dinner or event--like a barbecue or something. The custard sauce, however, really ups the classy factor. It is GOOD, and I'm not even a fan of custards. It's smooth and creamy and not too rich, and would taste amazing over fruit at breakfast. I was a little nervous about making it because I don't really trust my judgment when a recipe says to be careful not to over-cook or, in this case, until it has a certain consistency. I prefer facts and strict rules that will guarantee my success: "cook for exactly 5 minutes, stirring counter-clockwise at a rate of 50 stirs per minute" etc.... But I just kept the heat really low, stirred it gently non-stop, and it turned out fine. We had it in the fridge for a couple of hours before we ate the pie, and it was definitely tasty. But it was noticeably better the next morning (when we ate leftover pie for breakfast!). So when I make it again I'll prepare the custard sauce the night before. So there's my first recipe review. If you decide to make it, please do let me know how it goes!

3 comments:

Plain Jane said...

Yum! That's one that I've wanted to make but I don't have a good pan for it. I'm glad it was good. I have yet to find bad recipe from Ken (we're on a first name basis apparently) - either from Apple Pie Perfect or Pie. Two of my favorite cookbooks!! Yay!

Kellyry said...

The crust looks perfectly browned and the pie charmingly rustic in the pan. Im intrigued by the walnut/raisin mixture...I like raisins but not as much in baked goods so the fact that they are pureed is good, and I'm guessing just lent a sweetness to it. I'll have to find an occasion to try this soon.

Maybe to celebrate my new chair... :-)

DeniseMarie said...

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of raisins, but I tend to like them ok in baked goods. I was skeptical of chopping them up in the food processor, but it really tasted good--not raisin-y, just sweet and nutty. I was also surprised at how little you tasted the raspberry preserves. If I hadn't known it was an ingredient, I wouldn't have known it was in there just by taste. As for the crust, (close your eyes now, Carol, and don't read this next part) I don't make my own. I personally really like the taste and texture of Pillsbury's premade dough--the kind you just unroll and use--so I always use it. The pies in this book, not to mention my nice pie dish, are all BIG, though, so the 9-inch Pillsbury ones aren't big enough and I combine two and then roll the dough out myself. I used almost all the dough on this particular crust, so it was extra thick. I think it added to the rustic-ness of the look/presentation, plus it tasted yum!