Saturday, July 7, 2007

July 4th With the Popes

While Miss Kelly was celebrating her 30th birthday (still sorry we missed it), we enjoyed spending the holiday with the Popes who hosted their annual July 4th barbecue. This is what the freeway looked like on our drive out to their place. And it was hot. I know it's a bit blurry, but you're reading that correctly: 107 degrees. But it was worth it, because there was tons of food, great company, air conditioning inside, a newly-installed misting system on the patio, and fun games to be played--including "corn hole" (or beanbag toss for those of us who grew up with, you know, electricity and paved roads....). Aren't my dad and husband the cutest? My ma and I enjoyed watching our men sweat their way through a few games while we lounged under the mist (which is what caused those spots, and I can't figure out how to Photoshop them away). Oh, and then there was this little cutie-pie. I worked a little of my newly-learned Photoshop magic to bring his face forward and blur out the rest. I think the effect turned out nicely. And this next photo gave me an opportunity to acquire a skill that I'm sure will come in very, very handy: Eliminating oily skin shine on my forehead. I've got to warn you, Kelly (or any other yet unwed gal who might be reading this), while you're engaged all anyone wants to talk to you about is the wedding and whether or not you're excited. (When I first typed that I actually wrote "scared" instead of excited....Oh, Freud.) The second it's over don't go anywhere near a baby, let alone hold one. Because if you do the entire room will erupt in "ooooohs" and "aaaahs" and comments about how you're "practicing" and how "soon you'll have one of those." Sigh. But how could I keep my hands off that sweet little guy? I couldn't. It was worth the heckling. Thanks, Popes, for having us!

1 comment:

Kellyry said...

Though you were missed, glad you had fun too. And Jacob is adorable.

BTW, I've got a couple pics I'd like to have you photoshop the "oily forehead" away...