Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Thank You, Mr. Samuelson

If you love language as I do, if you bemoan the modern man and woman's ignorance of proper grammar, if texting abbreviations ("GR8 C U L8R!") make you want to crush electronic devices with the heel of your shoe, and if you worry that the brains of young people are being turned to pudding by overstimulation and a culture that discourages them from ever (ever, ever) focusing their complete attention on a single task, then you'll want to read this article.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Well said. I used to wonder if I was the only one who thought of those things...
When Lillie was born last year, I decided to basically stop watching t.v. (save for a few news shows and a very occasional murder mystery, which she doesn't get to watch anyway!). We spend most of our free time outside playing, at the library or zoo, or just exploring toys and books. I was thrilled the other day when she pointed out and said 'poppy' and 'daisy' in the garden. Life is too short as it is...I'd rather not hurry her through childhood!
oh-I have a photo of Lillie and Elaine on my blog now (I think they are just darling).
p.s. you have great blogs!!

Kellyry said...

Great article! And so true. I've been teased by my texting friends for writing out complete words & sentences with punctuation in my texts. I just can't bring myself to use letter/number abbreviations like that. An occasional "tomm." for "tomorrow" to save space (not time).