Thursday, May 22, 2008

Needed: Design Help

Ok, all those of you out there with better design sense than I, please offer your opinion on this. Before we got our new floors in the downstairs, we had an old embarrassing monster-sized tube tv in a big giant entertainment center. The whole thing was ginormous, but it worked because we have cathedral ceilings and that wall needs something to break up the tall and wide expanse of nothingness. But now that we upgraded to a fancy new flat screen and moved it to a different wall, we need something on that big papa-sized wall. We bought two of these shelves (in black-brown) from IKEA and came up with the idea of hanging them on that wall over the credenza. They'll be used mostly for decor and to add visual interest to that wall--and NOT for displaying tons of knicknacks. At the most I'll display on them a small handful of books, probably my two Kate Spade crystal vases, and maybe 2 or 3 framed pictures. My question is, how should we hang them? One directly above the other like this? Or with them staggered off center like this? What say you all?

5 comments:

Kellyry said...

I say staggered with the end of either shelf going past either end of the table below it to create a sense of largeness to it. I would even consider a third shelf centered above the 2 staggered shelves to give it even more height. Also, I think it might need something above the plant, a collection of photos or a large piece of artwork.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Kelly...Definitely staggered rather than right underneath eachother...

Molly W. said...

I would say definitely staggered.

Liz said...

I would say staggered but would strongly recommend a third shelf if you are going to do that. Most design elements look better in odd numbers. A third shelf would be very nicely drmatic. If you are set on only having two shelves, I actually like them right on top of each other.

b said...

Haven't been online for a few days....

Staggered, definitely. And Liz has a really good point.There's something about 3's of everything. I think it's the whole Trinity thing.